1. On this day in 1792- King Louis XVI of France, during the French Revolution, was put on trial for treason by the National Convention.
2. On this day in 1941- Germany and Italy declared war on the United States, following the Americans' declaration of war on the Empire of Japan in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor. The United States, in turn, declared a war on them.
3. On this day in 1946- The United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) was established.
4. On this day in 1972- Apollo 17 became the sixth and last Apollo mission to land on Moon.
5. On this day in 1994- First Chechen War began when Russian President Boris Yeltsin ordered Russian troops into Chechnya.
6. On this day in 1997-The Kyoto Protocol was opened for signature.